Video editing – Understanding how it works and which mistakes to avoid
What is video editing?
How to edit a video?
Good practices for your video editing
- Get prepared: organise your work so that you have your final objective in mind. You can sort your video files, think of an order, anticipate the setting. This way, editing will be less tedious.
- Space out the transitions. You don’t want to rush the person who is going to see the final result. You need to give space to each idea in your video so that the message is well transmitted and understood.
- Add visual aids to better capture attention: titles, graphics or illustrations, all this will allow you to captivate your audience, especially for your corporate video.
- Sober transitions: you’ve probably already seen a video with so many transitions that you forgot the content. It’s the same principle for video editing: transitions must be fluid, natural, and leave the content first. They should highlight the sequences, not hide them
- Choose the right music: if your editing is dynamic, the music must be adapted, and the reverse is also true. The soundtrack of a video montage is essential as it must match the content and rhythm of the montage and transitions. Audio content can be edited in the same way as video, by putting several pieces of audio together or by recording audio during the shooting.
Mistakes to avoid when editing video
- Never neglect the soundtrack. As we have seen, the soundtrack must be in keeping with the video. But it is not enough to put on “passable” music. You have to pay attention to the audio and its superimposition on the sequences if there are extras speaking in the video. The choice of music is obviously important, as is the management of sound effects and background music. The sound intensity must be measured and consistent with the different sequences. This is both a tedious and delicate part of video editing, but crucial to the user experience.
- Lenghts: when you watch a film, a video or anything similar, some lengths are useless and boring. It is important to know when to cut some parts. Every piece of a video must bring something to the viewer, otherwise the audience won’t be captivated.
- Excessive editing: when you create your transitions, your editing, you must keep in mind the objective of your video and its audience. Depending on this, you will be able to choose between a simple montage, or something more dynamic. You need to be very consistent when editing a video, and therefore use this tool sparingly.
- Editing legibility: it is important to pay attention to the legibility of the graphic and textual elements that you can add to the edit. Indeed, it is unpleasant not to be able to read the elements that are added, and above all, this discredits the video and the operator who created it. Thus, it is important to choose the font, colour and size of the graphics, and the time at which they are added to the edit to maintain consistency.
- Not taking into account different interfaces: depending on the user’s interface, the video rendering can be very different. This must be adapted on both Mac and Windows. The format must therefore be visible and accessible for download for users who wish to download the visual creation.
Why taking care of the video editing for your corporate video?
Video editing at LakeProd
At LakeProd we will work with you on your video from start to finish. Our teams of professional videographers will shoot scenes with you, and will be able to offer you the editing that suits you best. Our editing teams will provide you with a complete video editing and a professional and aesthetic result.